Committed to making a tangible impact
I am honored to serve as the President of our NGO, dedicated to empowering the African immigrant community in Finland. Our mission is clear: "make a difference." Through engaging cultural events, we strive to create meaningful connections between African and Finnish communities, fostering unity and understanding.
Beyond cultural exchange, our organization actively addresses the challenges faced by African immigrants in Finland. From language and cooking classes to mentorship programs, event planning, we provide essential support networks and resources, helping individuals and families thrive in their new home.
Looking ahead, we remain committed to making a tangible impact. Join us in creating a more inclusive society, providing practical support for individuals and families to thrive in their adopted home.
President, NGO Afaes ry
Abel Sunday Ayodeji
- African pots
- Great Voice Of Africa Union, (GVA)
- Woodess (Women Designed for Success)
- Finnish Indian Society
- Ministere Royaume du Ciel ry
- Sierra Leone Consulate Planning Office Finland
- Earth Angels of Finland
- Together Finland
- Heed Association Finland
- ALYSIA MENTULA DESIGN
- OMONO'S FASHION
- To combat racism through teamwork
- To employ African migrants to be self-sufficient
- To educate African migrants and develop their self-esteem
- To introduce African food through festivals and other happenings
- To cooperate with African NGO´s around the world
- To establish close contacts with associations and companies in Finland
- To organize seminars on African immigrants problems
- To assist our members to organize and participate in multicultural conferences, workshops and seminars
- To assist people living in intercultural marriages
- To help Africans living in mistrust relationships
AFAES holds workshops, seminars and conferences, which are specially designed for the following:
- Integrating Africans smoothly into the Finnish society
- Introducing African cultures to Finns and Finnish culture to Africans
- Assisting African children in their school subjects to help them better manage their academic challenges.
- Addressing contemporary facts and issues related to African integration.
The stable and effective foundation established over the past 20 years enables the identification of new partners and the expansion of AFAES's coordinating activities. In 2024, AFAES aims to enhance cooperation with organizations across Finland, fostering collaboration between multicultural organizations and immigrant groups.
Actions and Objectives
Mental, Physical and Social Well-being
The main objectives are:
- Guidance, training and support of organizations, which will be achieved in co-operation with partners and with an aim to strengthen organizations and deepen their participation
- Develop and enhance communication, influencing and participation possibilities in Finnish society
- Develop cooperative network activities in order to prevent social exclusion of immigrant Africa youth
- Support equal participation of immigrant Africa women and Men
- Promotion of the emotional, physical and social well-being of Africa immigrants
Promoting well-being by means of association work. The common theme in AFAES project work is how AFAES can help Africans immigrants' mental, physical and social well-being. Trainings and events will be arranged, to increase social well-being, dialogue between cultures and collective action. Physical well-being will be promoted by organizing common exercise activities and special events.
AFAES will build connections with sport associations, aimed to promote physical well-being, especially among African immigrant women and youth.
Hobbies and other activities
AFAES is actively engaged in the pursuit of new operational models to facilitate the seamless integration of immigrants, aiming to establish meaningful connections with native Finns through the development of hobby-related activities. The organization is dedicated to thoroughly exploring these possibilities, with plans to initiate various activities in 2024, contingent upon available resources. AFAES is devoted to promoting hobbies among immigrant women, men, youth, and families, recognizing the positive impact such activities can have on fostering community bonds and individual well-being.
In addition to these efforts, AFAES places a strong emphasis on enhancing collaboration among its member associations. The organization is particularly committed to strengthening relationships among associations with diverse Asian, African, and European backgrounds. By fostering increased cooperation, AFAES seeks to create a more interconnected and supportive network that benefits its members and the broader community alike.
The primary target group of AFAES comprises its members. Additionally, the target audience extends to immigrants from Africa in the capital region, collaboration partners, authorities, the civic society, media, and the general public.
AFAES ry consists of a board responsible for external communications and an office.
AFAES has implemented a framework to optimally utilize the unique expertise of board members in operational planning and coordination. Currently, the organization operates with the following working groups:
- Youth group
- Peer support group for Women and Men
- Culture & Networking group
- Media & Advocacy group